Sunday, May 24, 2009

A day @ the track

Brad & Jeremy & some of the other guys from the motorcycle gang went to Putnam Race track yesterday for a "track day". It's not just an oval track, it has 10 turns (so they can lean way over & drag their knee...). It's not really a "race". They are just trying to improve their own personal times. But let's be honest, they're guys...& guys have.. uh... "equipment" that makes them very competitive. Just like the humidity-the air was dripping w/ testosterone.
When we got there, they got their bikes out & immediately started putting these sleeping bag looking things around their tires.
They are tire warmers. Like leg warmers from the 80's... They had the generators going & extension cords that ran them. The tire warmers' purpose is to heat the tires so they're soft & kinda "sticky" so they stick to the track. What have I told you guys about "half-assing" it? Doesn't happen!
It was VERY difficult to get pics of them going down the straight because they're going so freakin' fast. I did manage to get one of Jeremy:
and the only good one of Brad is w/ the track official in front of him...
Brad's on the left, then Jeremy, then their buddy (& fellow motorcycle gang member), Derek.

After the 2nd session, Brad's tires had been pushed to their limits & he couldn't safely ride them anymore. He missed the next 2 sessions because he was changing them.
This is turn 10. Jeremy's in the front & their buddy, Derek, is behind him.
Then, there was an accident. They have people all over the track watching the guys & there are a few ambulances placed around it as well. When they were coming around turn 9, I saw the ambulance lights come on. Then I saw Jeremy slow down, stop, jump off his bike & start waving his arms. I thought he was hurt. But is was Derek. It's way too hard to explain what he did, but he lost control of the bike. It threw him off & he flipped through the air & the bike hit him. So I freaked out & started crying. For those of you who may not think I have a maternal instinct, I do...I just don't use it the way God intended. So I'm crying because I'm fuh-reaking out because we can't see what's going on & the ambulances are there & Jeremy comes over & says he's hurt bad. They took him to the hospital & he had broken his collar bone.
Needless to say, it made all the guys nervous (& it should've). It took them a couple of sessions to shake off the jitters. Then it was on like the break of dawn.
This is Brad going around turn 10.
They lean down SO far!
Notice all the gear Jeremy's wearing? That's one of the good things about them. They wear back protectors, full leather suits, special boots, gloves & of course, helmets.

Like all serious racing teams, we have sponsors. It takes a village, people! Thanks to Brian & Lora for the use of their camera & pick up truck and to Brad's parents for the trailer.

No comments: