Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jeremy is a machine

My brother, Jeremy, participated in the Ironman triatholon Sunday in Louisville. Now, I realize that those of you that are my friends on facebook have seen & heard most of this already. However, I wasn't able to tell a story on facebook...& you know there's always a story... plus I have more pics I stole, er I mean borrowed from his girlfriend, Rhonda.
First, I want to brag a bit on Jeremy. There were around 3,000 participants in the race thingie. Out of his division (males 30-34 [he's 33]) he ranked #16. Out of the 3000 total participants - he's ranked #93. Can you say GULP?! His total time was 10 hours 39 minutes. He finished a mere 2 hours after the winner. I can't begin to tell you how incredibly proud we are of Jer. He's been training for a year for this. He has done a couple of half ironman's, but never a full one. This was his first one. This summer when it was sooo freakin' hot - he was training in the heat of the day. And you may be wondering why the heck would he do that like I was? It was because he knew that in August the weather here is incredibly hot. And those who trained early in the morning & later in the evening wouldn't be able to handle the heat of the day. See, there is a method to his madness? And looks like it paid off! And I'm very impressed at how well he knew himself & what he was capable of & what his goals were. He had written on a piece of paper for us when he should be done swimming, biking & running. And he was pretty close on all of them!
Ok-enough of the mushy stuff-you know how I am.
Ahem...on with the show!
Mom & I left the house around 5:30 am to get over to Tumbleweed on the river to see the swim begin. And I had NO idea how many people would be there. Not just participants...but their families & friends & just other spectators were there too. . We had to walk a loooong way from a parking garage downtown to Tumbleweed. But mom was a woman on a mission & we were walking at warp speed! It wasn't even light outside yet & I was already sweating! We got seperated in the crowd for a bit, but I texted her (gotta love those cell phones) & we were able to meet back up!
We were on a retaining wall thing watching all the swimmers jump in. And we knew he wanted to be in the water around 7:00-7:15. While I was standing on the wall, I saw a guy that I thought could've been him? I know it sounds silly to say you don't recognize your own brother, but they all are dressed alike! Then I saw a guy who I thought might be him? So I started snapping pics. I thought he was the guy in the gray. 4th from the front. And then I saw the tattoo on his right shoulder & yelled at mom, "That IS him!"
So I got him jumping in the water!

Then we had to walk from Tumbleweed to the Great Lawn where the swim ended & they got on their bikes. We waited for-ever for him to get out of the water. I was ready with my camera to snap a pic. However - it was really difficult to tell who was who when they were climbing out of the water. I finally realized he was right there, pulled up my camera to snap a pic... & I got this guy. Whaaaa? This isn't Jeremy! Ok-THIS is him! He was walking so fast that by the time I got my camera up he was outta the shot!Ok-stats on swimming: 2.4 miles. He completed it in 1 hr 26 min. Not too great - swimming is his weakest thing. Then it was on to the bike transition. It took him 5 min 34 sec to get out of the water & onto his bike!After we watched him ride away on the bike, mom & I left downtown to head to the fair. Don't judge - he was going to be gone for a loooong time. We saw the inflatable dude that talks to the kids.Instead of birds - this time they had been replaced with PIGS!And some weird KKK sheep? I'm not sure what the hood thingie was all about? They also had white sheets over their bodies?Mom bought a couple of books at the Usbourne book booth: Everybody poops and The gas we pass. Ok-seriously? She read them to me on our way home. And she giggled like a 12 year old girl the whole time. Sigh...After spending a couple of hours at the fair - I was exhausted mentally & physically! Sure, I wasn't doing an ironman or anything, but the stress of having a brother doing it (& getting up at 5 am) hit me hard! We decided to go back home around noon because I knew there was NO WAY I was going to last another 7 hours hanging out in Louisville & walking around. Jeremy knew what time he wanted to finish each event. And his goal was to be done in 11 hours which was 6:00. So we went home to take naps & we had planned to head back over around 4:00. We could also track him online so I could see where he had checked in on the bike. At 2:30 I got a text from mom, "I'm ready whenever you are!" I knew his goal was to run 8 minute miles during the run. After I got her text, I checked out where he was. He had finished the bike & was already running & he was running a 7 min 35 second mile. Gulp... we better go. Then Rhonda called mom to tell her he was going faster than they thought so he would be done sooner so mom calls me & says, "Let's go! I don't wanna miss it!" And off we went...
Biking stats: 112 miles on the bike. He finished in 5 hrs 26 min & averaged a speed of 20.61 mph....He is strongest on the bike. He knew he was going to have to pace himself while doing it so he didn't blow out his legs for the run...
He had a 3 min 56 second transition from the bike to the run. And I mention that because one of his buddies had an 11 min transition from bike to run. Jeremy was a man with a plan. After mom & I got to the finish on 4th Street, I ran into Hannah & she told me that if I walked down a couple of blocks, I might see him making the loop around. I was still tracking him online & knew he was past the half way point of the run. She said that I just might catch him. Mom would not leave her position at the finish line. She had a front row seat. So I walked down by myself. And when I got there, I just thought, "There's no way I'm gonna see him. He's probably already gone!" So I stood for a second & I saw a guy running toward me that looked like Jeremy. So I got the camera ready & yelled, "JEREMY?!" He looked up at me, smiled... & posed.... ahhhh, THAT'S my brother!
I thought he looked great! I told him, "I can't believe I found you! You're doing great!"
I like this one because he's smiling!
I walked back up to mom at the finish line. And we waited. And waited. And waited. It was about 2 1/2 hours after we got there that he finished. The ironman website was down because of sooo many people tracking their athletes so I didn't know when he was getting close. I knew the final check in was 1 mile before the finish. But I had no clue when he checked in there because of the stupid website! Then, like a flash-he was there. Hauling ass towards us! And I got pics- they're blurry - but I got 'em!
Rhonda was on the other side of the finish line to get him. If you look closely, you can see mom's pink sign on the right & my face buried behind my camera!As they come across the finish line, the announcer says their name & where they're from & their age & then says, "JEREMY BROWN - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!"
They have an area after they're finished where they take their picture in front of the ironman sign. He totally cheesed it up for the ironman people's camera!
Then we got to see him & tell him he did an awesome job!
Running stats: 26.2 miles. He finished in 3 hrs 37 min & had an average of a 8 min 18 sec mile. Sheesh! He wanted to finish in 11 hours which was 6:00 pm. He finished around 5:40.I asked him how he felt after the race. He said, "I feel great. I'm ready for a beer!" He really did look & sound great when he was done!
Jeremy & Rhonda
His buddy Munky is the one that had the 11 minute transition. He finished in 12 hrs... so he really was greater than Munky that day...
Isn't this how every ironman relaxes? Icy compression socks?!
I told him to act like he liked me! Rhonda goes, "Ya wanna kiss her on the lips now?" To which he replied, "No, we're not from Kentucky..."
So I puckered up & gave him a smacker on the cheek! I love the look on his face! 2 days post race he says his legs are feeling much better today. I told him if he does it next year, I'M training to be a spectator. Sheesh!

6 comments:

Jami said...

That is awesome! Way to go Jeremy! And way to go Jaime too for spending your day cheering your brother on.

Robin G. said...

Good Job Jeremy! His training in the heat really paid off. I love the pics. He is lucky to have good family support to cheer him on!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

That is so awesome!! I know you guys are proud! I thought it was awesome when we went down last year and we didn't even know anyone but to just think of all that they've accomplish is just amazing!! I can do ONE of those things in a day but all 3?! HOLY COW!! Way to go for cheering him on. I know it gave him a great boost when he saw you. Spectators really make running fun!!!

Also, I love that Usbourne book. I've read it before! :)

Angie Coleman said...

I have to say that reading your blog gave me goose bumps! You & your mom are amazing for being there for your brother & of course Jeremy is awesome for so many reasons...considering the iron man, training for the iron man & for being an IRON MAN a title he'll have forever!! Great JOB!

I also have to say that I LMAO at the sheep & your reference to it being part of the KKK - that was hillarious!!

ginmommy said...

I loved this post, for many reasons. First of all, so sweet of you and your mom to support him like that. I mean what a machine, is right?!?! I love that you and your mom had to go home and nap, hahahaha. The sheep that's a KKK member, too funny!!! Um, and your bro posing like that, seriously, what a stud. Oh, and he has a girlfriend?!? Who's my competition?? ;-)

Kiersten Hoehn said...

Tell him I said great job and I am very proud of him!! One of my friend's mom did the Ironman a couple of years ago.