Thursday, June 18, 2015

Painting Hydrangeas

My buddy, Jami (who I refer to as JLL), is a lucky ducky & won a FREE month of paintings at Uptown Art.  When she texted to tell me I had just gotten an email for a 20% off coupon & we made a date for Tuesday night to paint hydrangeas.  
 June is half off wine bottles... YES PLEASE.
 We started by painting the whole background w/ a concoction of light yellow & dark yellow.  You can see above we had like 2 shades of yellow & 1 brown, however their official names (the dark yellow & brown) were light siena & dark siena.  If you've ever been to a class you can imagine the major confusion it caused in a room of people drinking to determine which color the teacher was referring to when she said dark sienna.  She finally said, 'You need 3 huge scoops of the dijon mustard & 3 huge scoops of the french mustard.'  Yea, that's more like it...keep it simple...
 We painted some light yellow on top of the concoction, then we added some white.  Next we added the table & outline for the vase.
 Then came my favorite part...do you know what these colors make?
 Purrrrrr-ple...
 We added 4 hydrangeas & used the same color to put some color in the vase.
 We made our original purple concoction a little lighter & added to the hydrangeas.
 We made it lighter again & added this color to the vase too.
 Then it was time for the greenery.  LORD the greenery.  I'm not a perfectionist & most the time I'm like, "Eh, it's FINE!" but the leaves I painted on the middle hydrangea looked like devil horns to me.  I ended up adding another little leaf to try & offset that...
 They had an optional color for this class of hot pink.  We used it last to create a look of 'new growth'.  This is how mine finally ended up.  I'm on the fence w/ this painting because it did NOT look anything like the picture online.  Apparently the picture online was painted w/ some kind of pallet thingie & we weren't doing that so it turned out a lot different.
 I liked the hot pink but JLL did not (& sadly she was most excited about using hot pink!)  She ended up going over her hot pink w/ one of our purpleish concoctions & I think it turned out well because you could see just a hint of pink coming through.
(This picture of us did not turn out the best but we are claiming no responsibility for that.  The instructor took our photo...)
Thanks for the fun night JLL!  
(We're going again next week!  I have been so much I have earned a free class from their punch card so this one will be free for me too!! Did you also forget it's half off wine bottles ALL of June?  What a great month for her to win!)

3 comments:

Jami said...

I think your pink looks great! Wish mine had turned or good, cause I sure do love my pink.

melanie said...

The paintings are gorgous! I always am blown away by the end product. Uptown art is fun!

ginmommy said...

I think it looks pretty :-)