Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Just another Wednesday night

B-rad's mom was going to make dinner tonight for the whole crew. B-rad & Brian took vacation from their day jobs this week to try to get some planting done. When they get into the 'We gotta get done! We gotta get done!' frenzy, I have learned to just stay out of their way. When they won't wait 10 minutes for you to make them a sandwich or take 10 minutes to eat-that's their problem. Not mine. This chicks gonna eat...

I knew full well that B-rad would NOT want to stop planting to come to his moms to eat dinner. I was fully prepared to pack him up a nice 'to-go' box & put it in the microwave for him to re-heat when he got home.


But, being the most awesomest wife ev-er....I called him just to make sure. "Hey B-rad, you don't wanna come to your moms & eat dinner.... right?!' 'No.' Then he started ranting about all kinds of stuff: The tractor was too big to fit in a field he needed to go in. (Sounds weird, I know...but the field is surrounded by trees & the owner has a gate around it. Uh, yea-B-rad totally jacked the gate up trying to get the tractor in the field...), the tractor has been throwing a fault code (kinda like your service engine light) & since yours truly works at the dealership where the tractor was purchased, it is my responsibility to talk to the guy who can get it fixed. Sigh...)

THEN at some point during his rant he tells me that, "I need you to come get me & take me back to the barn to get the dodge!" Ex-squeeze me? Your mom's got chicken in the oven?!

Then we have this conversation:

Me: You want me to come get you at the O'Brien farm?! (That's the farm he couldn't fit in...) I don't know where that is?

B-rad: NOOOOOOO, I'm at the Totten Farm. I couldn't FIT into the O'Brien farm. The Totten Farm is past the O'Brien Farm.

Me: Oh, ok... Uhm - I know where the Totten Farm is.

B-rad: Crickets...

Me: Ok-so you need ME to come get YOU at the Totten Farm & bring you back to the barn? (I always repeat his instructions to me for 2 reasons: #1-the instructions could change in the 5 seconds since he last spoke & #2-If I do something wrong - his fault...not mine....)


I left the yummy smelling dinner & went to pick up B-rad at the Totten farm. I decided to take a few pics of the new tractor in all its glory. These are with my phone, so they're not the best...




UHM-this is a hole. Right in the middle of the field. Farming is not all glamorous with new tractors, people. It's dangerous business... This hole could open up to some underground cave... or lead straight to China!
I like these pics...



You can see how big the tractor is with B-rad against it locking the door. He's about 5'11", the tractor towers over him. On the way back to the barn (which is incidentally where the yummy dinner was) between the continued ranting about the tractor I convinced B-rad to stop for 15 minutes & eat dinner. His mom had already made us to-go boxes so we sat down & ate. B-rad is tired, hot & cranky. He didn't eat much dinner, but this is what he does this time of year. It's even worse this year because all the rain put them so far behind. We (they) HAVE to have corn in the ground by the weekend for crop insurance so you can imagine the urgency. They are working really hard to get it done. Brady is graduating from 8th grade tomorrow & Derik graduates high school on Saturday(!). B-rad has said that he knows he is required to attend both events. We shall see what happens...

1 comment:

ginmommy said...

Poor B-rad! That would be seriously stressful to have to depend on the weather for your livelihood, and all the other stuff he has to factor in. BTW, you're an awesome wife :)