Thursday, June 14, 2012

What was I thinking?

Last weekend during B-rad's ill-fated trip to Deal's Gap, Shauna & I had made plans to do a girls trip for a day or two.  However, her mom came into town so our plans got nixed.  I had already taken the day off work Friday & I was sooooo looking forward to it.  When Shauna backed out, I still really, really wanted my day off work.  And you know me, making lemonade outta lemons I came up with another plan.

I asked Alicia if her & the kids would be able to meet up for lunch on Friday.  I was going to go see Snow White & the Huntsman at the movies by my pathetic self.  Sigh...

Alicia & I had made plans for lunch & then Denise wrote her a message on Facebook about Madagascar 3.  Well, uhm, I hated for Alicia to have to decide between me & Denise, so I invited myself along tried to make that decision easy on her by allowing her to do both.  I'm a good friend.  

We all met up at Chick-fil-a & God help me, this place was ca-razy!   The kids (even ones that didn't belong to the people I was with) were running around like tiny maniacs playing in the play room thingie.
And of course, NO lunch is complete without a picture of the kids not paying attention, not wanting to eat & not wanting to smile before they ate. 
As soon as we arrived at the movies, the kids bum rushed the candy counter.   Lets be honest, we all knew my post about the afternoon would be very different from their's, but it was THIS moment when it hit me like a ton of bricks... 
 While their mommies were avoiding the arcade getting tickets, snacks & drinks, I walked into the arcade to make sure no one tried to kidnap them.  Alas, I am a sucker when they asked me for money.  Eh, it's ok though because I don't get asked that question 9 billion times a day.  If I did, I'm all about the tough love & would tell them to forget it!
Grace tried to get a stuffed animal.  Anybody wanna guess how THAT turned out?
Jake played a shooting game that required me to hold him up so he could even aim at the screen!
Gabe & Sam played a shooting game as well.
 After the money ran out, the mommies beckoned their children to 'COME ON!' & out of the arcade we went.  But what did my little eyes see in the lobby?  Yes, please....
This is the point where I got super pissed at B-rad because he took my point & click & all I had to rely on was my super cool iPhone.  What you can't hardly see in this pic is a dance of the bumblebees like I've never seen before.  I noticed a frenzied rush for seats.  Being the smart chick I am - I walked a row behind the frenzy & watched it all unfold...

This kid wants to sit here, then that kid wants to sit by another other kid.  Once all the kids got their perfect seating arrangement complete, the mommies had to pass out snacks & drinks.  Madness, I tell ya.  
The mommies were finally able to sit down & get a pic with ME!  Sheesh!  
See how they love me?  They had to sit on either side of me.  (I get that a lot...I'm used to it...)
The kids were VERY sweet & kept passing me gummy candies.  I'm sure it was pay back for cash I passed out earlier...
Most of you stalkers know Alicia & her uncanny ability to sleep any.freaking.where.  Well, she fell asleep...during the movie... So Denise totally put me up to this & I'm SOOO glad she did.  I was worried that someone may get pissed because I turned on my flash.  Her response, "Who cares?"   Love it!
I'm very lucky that my friends are good sports about me not wanting kids of my own & being weirded out by all the kid related stuff that goes on.
  
Some of my favorite lines of the day:
Jaime:  "Thanks for letting me come.  I love these Madagascar movies but I can't very well come see them by myself...people will think I'm a pedophile!"
Alicia:  While pointing at my head... "PEDOPHILE!  THERE'S A PEDOPHILE RIGHT HERE!"

Jake to Alicia:  "Mommy, I wanna sit on your lap!"
Jaime:  "Sucker."
Denise:  "Awwwww... jealous!"

Denise: "Grace, I'm going to the bathroom.  Would you like to come?"
Grace:  "No."
Denise:  "She'll have to go in 15 minutes.  Mark your watches, girls."

Denise:  "I really want you to experience the full effect of movies with kids.  'Jaime, I'm done with my drink.  Jaime, I'm done with my popcorn. Jaime, I dropped my drink'..."

Alicia:  While Jake is still on her lap.... "Be still buddy.  Mommy is trying to nap."  
Pitiful...
 Thanks again girls for letting me hang out.  Best.birth.control.ever.

7 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

OH MY WORD!! I seriously laughed out loud while I read this entire post! My favorite two: the one of me and Denise taking a picture in Chick-Fil-A! AND the one of us trying to get everyone situated at the movie!!! PRICELESSS!!!!!!!! I am so glad you went with us!! I LOVED your take on the afternoon!!!!!

Dan and Denise said...

You sneaked some pictures that I was totally not aware of! The one of us taking pictures of the kids at Chick-fil-a . . . Haha! Nice! The kids in the arcade . . . YOU are the sucker!

I'm so glad you went with us! It's so fun hanging out with you, even if our kids make your skin crawl a little.

ginmommy said...

Hi-larious! And good for you being a good sport. But the pic of Alicia asleep? That is freaking hilarious!!!!!!

Jami said...

I've been waiting for this, hilarious! It's a non stop madhouse with kids. You just roll with it.

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

As I am laughing about this....again, I am remembering that I felt like I had it easy that day because I didn't have Nora!! ha ha! Imagine if she would have been there!

Tracey said...

What a fun post! You did a great take on the day. :) Love Alicia falling asleep and how all the kids flock to you for money! Ha!!

The Utley Crew said...

hahahahahaha! I LOVE this. I wish you could spend a day with us, just so I could hear your take on it all! ha! On a serious note: You can tell the kids LOVE you, and I think that is so sweet! :)