Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Martha Mac is on a roll

It's time for another installment of "Jaime Mac attempts to decorate."   I spent an un-holy amount of money over the weekend...on stuff...for the house.  That's just not right...

I have decided instead of doing just one room at a time, I like doing things bit by bit.  When I go out shopping, I think about a specific thing I want to get.  Or a specific couple of things.  And that's what I do.  It has worked out well so far.  I feel like I'm making progress, but NOT feeling overwhelmed.

I changed the curtains on the living room windows.  These have been hanging since not long after we moved in.  I googled 'window treatments for large windows' (God Bless the internet...) & found lots of cute options.
 I decided on this.  If you notice, our walls are VERY short.  The middle of the room is 9000 ft high, but the walls are like 6 feet.  I settled on a nice, dark brown color but with a little pattern to keep it interesting.  I really like it in the whole scheme of the room.  Even B-rad said he liked it.
I also got an idea off Pinterest to use trunks.  I bought this at Old Time Pottery for $60 freaking dollars.  I use it to put throw blankets in.  (At least they're not under the end table now...)
 Also on Pinterest, I found this beauty right here.  I LOVE this.  I wanted to make this.  And I really thought Martha Mac was gonna pull it out this time.
Sadly...Martha Mac couldn't find all the components (or patience) it takes to make that beauty.  And THIS is what Martha Mac made.  No, it's not her best work...but she tries, people.   
Sigh...it's ghetto...it's ok to laugh...
It's on top of the entertainment center.  See the stick thingie on the bottom left?  I really, really like that.  I've had it for a while & I want to keep it there.  I can't decide if Martha's stick fiasco is too much stick stuff in one location?  Please, give your input.  I can handle it.  I already have a back up plan for up there if you say it's a no go.
Martha was so excited to create the stick art, that she did it in the living room...& in the kitchen & made a HORRIBLE mess.  It was baaaaaad.  Moss & sticks everywhere.  So, for the next project (oh yes, Martha is stepping up her game) she decided to go outside.   (The puppies were out there & helped...)
See, told ya it was a mess...
 This is the newest creation.  This is for the spare bathroom.  This one I LOVE & the best part about it is that I bought the fake flowers already 'bundled'.  I bought the brown sticks with the white thingies on them separate & stuck them inside.  I (Martha in case you were wondering...) stuck moss in the bottom, then added a block of styrofoam looking stuff you use for flowers.  (Because I'm a pro now...)  I arranged the flowers how I wanted them, then stuck the block on top of the moss.  THEN I stuffed more moss all around it to hide the sticks coming out.  I should totally put this on Pinterest...

 Remember the rocks on the coffee table that I paid for that I could have gotten out of the driveway?  Well, uhm - I decided to change them out.  I didn't like how white they were.  It really made them stick out.  I found the larger stick ball thing at Hobby Lobby & they had a kit with the smaller ones made from sticks & ropes.  I used some of the moss I scraped off the kitchen floor I had left over & lined the bottom.  Then I dumped the kit of stuff on top.  I added the big stick ball & then the candles for a pop of color.  Look.at.me.  (Yes, the tag is still on the stick ball.  I wasn't sure if I was going to return it or not...)
 The spare bathroom is the first room I'm painting.  It's a long process to paint the walls in our house because they're not drywall.  Last night my job was putting this cleaner stuff on them & then going back & wiping it off.  B-rad left me alone, un-supervised, to do this.  He left me with words of encouragement & wisdom before he left.  "Make sure you cover every single spot.  Don't miss anything or I'm telling you- the paint won't stick.  I've seen how you wash a car."  Sigh...

This weekend on the shopping extravaganza I wanted to find some things to hang on the walls in the spare bathroom.  I found some cute prints with lots of color.  As I walked around, I found this too.
It has all the colors from my cute prints AND the prints have circles too.  I really, really like this.  It also gives me lots of options for wall color, towels & rugs.  But it was also $60 freaking dollars.  Sheesh.
 B-rad & I started to put that painters tape stuff on everything in the bathroom last night.  (Can you imagine me painting a room with no margin for slop or error?  Oh, the humanity...) I got bored after 15 minutes & went to bed.  I have NO patience for that kind of thing.  And there's nothing but a cabinet, shower, toilet & door in the bathroom.  I can only imagine how much it will suck to re-do the kitchen.  Ugh.

6 comments:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

LOVE all but that stick thing. It is a little too much "stick" for that area. I do love the one on the floor and I LOVE that green one you made! It looks great!

Jami said...

Love that green thing you made and the print you bought. The curtains look great too! Good job!

ginmommy said...

Have you thought of just paying someone to paint for you? I know it sucks to chuck out the money, but some things are just worth the extra cost you know? Love the curtains! Love the circle print, l and ove the green creation, and just like stick thingy. What's your other option? Let's see it and all vote....

Dan and Denise said...

Okay . . . your original window treatments needed an updating. Nice work with the new curtains! I'm not a fan of the stick-thingy, but if you like it .. . it's your house. I like the green floral arrangement. Very nice work! Love the print with the circles too! I wonder how the whole candle-thing would look w/o the big stick ball? It just looks a little overwhelming to the whole arrangement to me. That's my two cents!

You did a great job! That's a lot of creativity, Martha Mac!

Jaime Mac said...

Thank you for your honest responses in my re-decorating conundrum! :)

Ginmommy I have not thought about hiring someone to paint. It never even really occurred to me bc B-rad is good at all that stuff. he's been getting ready to plant so he's busy now. I will definitely think about it before I do the dreaded kitchen.

Tracey said...

I am just getting around to some older posts (boo!), but I agree...like the vases better in next post. Love the circle print! :)