For the last couple of months, my dishwasher has been leaking water when I ran it. Of course I asked B-rad to look at it for me. And I asked & asked & asked. And you know his philosophy of "I do everything you ask me to do - I just may not do it in the time frame you want" right?
Well, it took him 'stages' to look at it. First stage was he took the panel off the bottom to see where it was leaking. And he determined that yes, it was in fact leaking & he thought it was a seal. And then it sat. And sat. And sat. And I know my hubby. And I know what time of year it is. And I know his 'working on stuff' for me rule. So I practically begged... "Will you PLEASE fix my diswasher before you start harvest?!"
Finally on Thursday, he rolled up his sleeves & dove into fixing the dishwasher. Long story short, the pump that was leaking couldn't be taken apart. And a whole new pump cost around $160 plus shipping & he wasn't even sure that would fix it.
So I started thinking. The dishwasher came with the house, so you know it was the cheapest model known to man. It's now 11 years old. It has never even been that great of a dishwasher anyway so I told B-rad to look on-line at the price of a new one.
Thursday night we went to Home Depot because I knew that if we purchased it on our Home Depot card we'd get 6 months same as cash (ya'll know how I'm all about same as cash...). Sadly, we couldn't get an associate to help us, so we ventured to HH Gregg. We had no trouble getting a salesman to help us there. I told him what I needed: it's just me & B-rad & I don't run it very often. Maybe once or twice a week?! He showed us a model that has a 'half-load' option. Be still my heart. If I don't have that many dishes, I can put them all on the bottom rack & there are jets half way down the machine that will just wash the bottom rack. Saves energy & water - & moo-lah - sign me up!
Of course I asked about financing because we have an HH Gregg account as well. They were offering 12 months same as cash. Cha-ching! The price on the dishwasher was $499. So I channelled by inner bff, Carrie (she's all about asking people to give her a better price...), & asked if he could do any better on the price because Home Depot was offering 10% off all appliances. Hey-it never hurts to ask.... So he went to his computer to look at Home Depot's prices. They didn't have the particular model we were going to purchase, but he decided to go ahead & give it to me at factory price which was $440. So I saved over 10% just for asking! Double cha-ching!
So here's where the story gets dramatic. The dishwasher was going to be in Saturday for us to pick up. And I knew it was going to take an Act of God to get B-rad away from the farm Saturday to go pick it up OR to let little ole me actually drive HIS truck in town to get it myself. He called me Saturday afternoon & said for me to come over to the barn to get his truck to go & get the dishwasher...and he was going to show me how to use the straps to tie it down. Uhm....ok?!
Obviously they were working on the combine when I got there. Remember how I told you the rotor was out of it? They got it repaired & got it back & a mere $11,252.77 later they have been working on re-installing it.
B-rad took me out to the truck for a crash course in ratchet strap thingies. And I know there is no way that I can figure them out. I'm not the hands on kinda girl...(& it probably didn't help that I was more concerned with taking pictures than listening...details, schmetails...)
Cole was getting antsy & starting to act silly so I knew just the thing to keep him quiet. A mirror....
Oh boy, this kid is all about making faces at himself.
And that mirror did its babysitting job perfectly....
Unfortunately he also put his hands all over it so there were smears & prints on it. Hmph, sorry Clinque girl...that's the price you pay for having no help...

So we got the dishwasher home around 9:30. B-rad had just gotten home from the barn & he was ready to install it for me.
It took a lot longer than I thought. He got done around midnight. He had some troubles & was griping & moaning about it - but he finally got it! Ahhh, the final product!
And I told ya'll I was spoiled right? Well, I had that baby chocked full of dishes because I hadn't done them all week. Don't judge - there was a method to the madness. I wasn't home any night of the week to actually wash them. And then I thought about doing them Saturday by hand, but then I thought, "If I wash all the dishes now - how are we going to try out the dishwasher?" Like I said - I'm clever...
4 comments:
love the pics of the clinique counter! funny! glad you have a dishwasher. that would cause this house to SHUT DOWN! i run it at least once a day. i'm not a 'try to save space so i wash the big stuff' kind of gal. everything goes in. even if one big thing takes up the whole bottom! ha!
Very clever post, as usual!!! I love all the thought you put into your posts, my brain never goes that far. Anyways, hooray for new dishwashers!!!! Oh, also, like the new pic!!!
I like the new pic too!! You're getting really good with the fuzzy background stuff!!
A home without a working dishwasher is just not a home! So glad you got that taken care of. BTW -- this was very entertaining post. I'm not sure how you made a new dishwasher that entertaining, but ya did.
Post a Comment